March 15th, 2017 was my last day of work as an HR Consultant in a fortune 500 company. With $1,000 in initial investment, I really had no idea what to expect for Solo Media.
Today October 1st, 2018 As I was cleaning up my accounting I noticed I hit over 6 figures in revenue.
For the Past Year and 6 months of being self-employed not once did I sit back and really think about the company revenue. To be completely honest, I’ve actually spent every day (literally) asking myself “did I do enough today?”
For that very reason, I wanted to share my experience on getting to this point in hopes that someone dealing with the same stress and anxiety I go through knows they are not alone (haha).
Doing anything and everything —
For the first 6 months, I did anything and everything for any kind of client. I had an idea of Web Development, SEO, Paid Media, but it was all theory; I needed to get some case studies.
“Ok sure, but how’d you get clients?”
I come from a sales background so although I had no specific system. I did tons of COLD OUTREACH.
- Craigslist — has a job board for Software and Web Design– I spent hours going through these listings calling and e-mailing everyone that was hiring.
- Yelp — Calling and emailing business on Yelp. They knew the value of being online.
- Friends, Co-Workers, and Family — ask for referrals (whos your dentist, chiropractor, doctor, etc)
You’d be surprised at how many companies are being taken advantage of and want to try something new with someone eager and hungry to provide results.
Not to mention I charged nearly nothing, probably less then minimum wage if I calculate my time spent on projects.
One Year In — Getting a Milestone Client
I did a ton of great work for next to nothing. Three great things came from this.
1. I got paid to learn and generate effective case studies.
2. I learned what my strengths were when offering services. How to assemble and manage a remote team to get the job done.
Although it doesn’t (or hasn’t gotten easier), you are a lot more confident in yourself and your team’s skills to get work done. This confidence was what helped us land a “milestone client”.
They came from a referral. No amount of cold calling would have helped us find this client. This was A turning point for us. We went from being a crawling baby to learning to walk and take our first steps as “big kids”.
Evolving — How do we get to the next level
Where we are now is an evolution. I guess to keep with the metaphor from the prior paragraph; we’re Toddlers. Learning our voice, the environment we are in, and how we fit in.
- We know we can get high-level complicated work done when it comes to designing, developing, and migrating websites.
- We’ve shown proven track records of increasing revenue through effective SEO methods and Paid Media methods.
- We understand the full e-commerce landscape and have clients who generate over 7 figures.
How do we take this and take the company to the next level?
I’m not sure exactly. I know for sure that what got me here will not get me to the 7 figure mark.
I’m reaching out to communities, leaders, and asking for help from people who have achieved much more than me to help shed some light.
I learned the only way people can help is by being truly transparent with the ins and outs of your business and finances (which in the US, is almost like taboo).
Thanks for reading
Thanks for reading. Feel free to hit me up if you’d like me to write in more depth about any of my situations, I’m looking to be more open with my journey.